Terminal server info needed

Ron Natalie ron at ron.rutgers.edu
Wed May 3 01:07:22 AEST 1989

Of the ones I've tried, ANNEX and CISCO are the ones that work best.
We've been in joint development so long with CISCO that every minor
change we've ever wanted in a terminal server has been incorporated
into their official release.  I also used an ANNEX continuously for
several months and found no problem with it's operation either.
The ANNEX terminal server development people were generally receptive
to changes proposed in their product as well.

The CISCO servers are very attractive to a central site as they can
be expanded to close to 100 lines per box.  The ANNEX boxes were more
cost effective at one time when you only needed a dozen lines, but
CISCO now sells smaller cheaper versions of their server as well.
The user interface is similar on the boxes, the ANNEX people obviously
being UNIX oriented, the CISCO people being DEC-20 holdovers.  Both
boxes support TELNET, RLOGIN, and SLIP.

We've also used at various times Ungermann/Bass and Bridge boxes.  I'll
not comment on these since I haven't used anything that they've come
out with in the past year.  We still have many Bridge servers in use,
but they have some rough edges on their implementation (at least in
the old ones we have).  Bridge customer support was likewise very
helpful.

-Ron