Looking for RJE software/hardware

Chris Rende car at trux.UUCP
Sat Nov 11 03:38:19 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov9.120458.23735 at utgard.uucp>, chris at utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) writes:
> I'm posting this for a person at work, so please reply to him
> at the following address:
>
>     csusac!utgard!pyrgard!al
>
> We have a Pyramid 9825, running OSx 4.4c, and are looking for
> IBM connectivity hardware/software that are off the shelf or
> can be easily ported to the Pyramid (we would pay reasonable
> porting fees) :
>
>     1.  3270 terminal emulation and file transfer via
>         IND$FILE accessed remotely at 4800 bps synchronous
>         dialup (208 a/b).
>
>     2.  AS/400 (5250) terminal emulation and file transfer,
>         dialup at 4800 bps synchronous or 2400 bps aysnc.
>
> Can anybody give us some company names that do this kind of
> thing?  We've already talked to Emerald, and we're looking
> for other alternatives.
>
> contact: Al Canton
>          (916) 3615400, ext. 839
>          csusac!utgard!pyrgard!al
>
> | QMA, Inc.		        email : {csusac,sactoh0}!utgard!chris  |

I'm a Nixdorf Targon 35/M50 running TOS 3.2.
(Pyramid 9810 with OSx 4.0)

I know .000001 about 3270, RJE, and IBM stuff but we do have 3270 and RJE
running on this machine.

The 3270 works like this:

A serial line comes from the IBM mainframe to a modem eliminator.
The other end of the modem eliminator goes into a 3270 protocol
converter. The 3270 protocol converter has 16 more serial ports on it.
These 16 port are connected to 16 of the Targon /dev/ttyi?? devices.
When a Targon (Unix) user wants to run 3270 to the mainframe they run a
program called 3270nix. 3270nix grabs one of the 16 serial ports to the
protocol convert and marks it as in use. 3270nix then takes care of doing
the 3270 emulation for the Wyse tube which the user is on.

It works but the 3270 stuff doesn't catch signals. So, if a user shuts
off their tube while 3270ing, the 3270 port is still marked as in use
when in fact it is not. :-( I have a job that runs each night which
frees all the 3270 ports.

This stuff was provided by Nixdorf computer. The 3270 protocol converter
is made by:
	Wall Data Inc.
	17769 N.E. 78th Place
	Redmond, WA 98052-4992

RJE works like this:

Again, a serial line comes from the mainframe, to the modem elimintor,
into another box. However, this box only has two serial port connections
to the Targon. There is software on the Targon that funnels RJE jobs out
to the RJE box. Also, there is a RJE daemon which listens to the RJE box
for print jobs to come from the mainframe. We don't use the punch function.

It works too... but if the RJE box and the mainframe "get out of sync"
it can take hours of box resetting, channel draining, and process
killing to get the link back up. I prefer UUCP. :-)

This stuff was also provided by Nixdorf computer. The RJE box
is made by:
	KMW Systems Corp.
	6034 W. Courtyard Drive
	Austin, TX 78730
	512-338-3000 Fax: 512-338-3199

It's a pain to lose all these serial ports for interconnections with the
3270 and RJE boxes.

Nixdorf now has a 3270/RJE board available for the machine. It gives 32
channels of 3270. The board goes right into the system. This would free up
the serial ports and get rid of the extra boxes. It is probably available
for Pyramid boxes as well.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysV/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek