nfs daemons in device wait state.

Linda Birmingham linda at cc.brunel.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 23:00:58 AEST 1989

I had quite a lot of responses to my nfs in device wait state query.

UKRTOC have just received a reply from RTOC to say that this is
SPR 5077 and there is a fix.

To summarise:

1) Sun have bugs reported as:
  (This is a precis of the info I received from Mario Wolczko)

case 1017518 : nfsd's go into DW. Process is blocked waiting for the keep
    count on the page it wants to go to zero...but it doesn't get decremented
    and never gets to zero.

    2 patches available.

case 1017893 : Server problem similar to client problem in bugId 1018954.
    Process blocked waiting for an mbuf structure to be released back to NFS.

    No patch available at this time.

2) This can happen if swap space gets used up and the pager and swapper are
   swapped out.

3) A similar problem with disk intensive applications that shared directories
   turned out to be deadlocks waiting for disk resources. This was a
   bug in Pyramids OSx directory routines.

4) There was a bug in Suns implementation of the nfsd code that caused
   the nfsd's to be swapped out under heavy NFS load.
    Claimed to be fixed in SUNOS 4.0.3.

5) Try sending SIGHUP to the inetd. The inetd re-reads the configuration file
   and may 'unlock' the nfsd's.

I hope this is of help.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Linda.

--
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, England.
janet: linda at uk.ac.brunel.cc |  :-)