Upgrade to 5.0

Scott Hazen Mueller scott at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
Sat Oct 14 02:24:27 AEST 1989

In article <9694 at blia.BLI.COM> mike at blia.UUCP (Mike Ubell) writes:
>We have a bottom of the line 90x processor.  Our operations folks have
>been told by RTOC that in order to upgrade to Os 5.0 we cannot have an
>8Mhz processor and would need to upgrade to a 10Mhz processor.
>Does anyone know why an operating system cares how fast the processor
>is running (or is the new OS such a dog that it needs the extra speed? :-)

The basic gist is correct - OSx 5.0 will not run on the 90x SP processor
set.  However, it's not that you need a fast (i.e., 10MHz) board set, but
that you have to upgrade to an AP processor.  Sounds like a garbled
communication problem to me.  The AP processor is 10MHz, though.  (I think.)

Regarding 5.0 being a dog - I don't think so, but it *is* probably a pig...
4.4 required a minimum of 8M of memory to run; I'm sure 5.0 will need at
least that much.
--
Scott Hazen Mueller| scott at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (ames|pyramid|vsi1)!zorch!scott
685 Balfour Drive  | (408) 298-6213   |Mail to fusion-request at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG