UUCP failure problems

Kenneth Herron kherron at ms.uky.edu
Sat Oct 20 11:18:22 AEST 1990

csg at able (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

>In article <4590 at rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb at rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:
>>We suddenly started getting quite a few "SIGNAL 1" failures on UUCP
>>transfers.... We are using the BSD universe UUCP... with OSx4.4c.

>That can mean only one thing: your modems are hanging up in the middle of the
>connection. Suspect a bad modem, or somebody messed with your telephone lines.

Or bad flow control.  I had a Tbit T1000 set to use Xon/Xoff both ways
between the computer and modem; UUCP would send ^S as part of the
protocol and the modem would dutifully shut up waiting for the ^Q that
never came.  This was only happening at slow speeds, which is why it took
me a week to figure it out...

Kenneth Herron