Small relational DBMS?

Robert A Bullington rabullin at athena.mit.edu
Wed Oct 17 23:19:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct17.103951.18740 at sbcs.sunysb.edu> kroe at sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) writes:

>I am looking for a Unix-based relational DBMS to be used for a
>relatively small application.  The total amount of relational data at
>any one time will be on the order of several megabytes, but new data
>and new tables will be generated often.  I am especially interested in
>a system that makes it easy to create new columns from existing ones
>using simple mathematical operators and functions.  The usual
>relational operators should be supported: select, project, join, diff,
>etc.  It should be possible to generate reports sorted on arbitrary
>columns.  Most queries will be relatively simple, but the select
>operator should support fairly complex conditions.
>
>The problem is that the big commercial offerings like Informix, Unify,
>Ingres, and Oracle are overkill for my application.  They are suited
>for the development of high-performance, relatively fixed applications,
>but I am more interested in a flexible tool for manipulating data that
>falls in the relational model.
>
>Any pointers will be appreciated, whether to commercial or
>non-commercial offerings.
>--
>KiYun Roe					kroe at sbcs.sunysb.edu
>Department of Computer Science
>SUNY at Stony Brook
>Stony Brook, NY  11794-4400			(516) 632-7675

I write small applications which, I think, fit the model of which you are
speaking.  The Development system I use is called RDM - it is pascal-based,
table driven, portable among a variety of operating systems and affords
a great deal of development power to the individual because of its many
features.  I encourage you to send for the information from Interactive
Technologies Inc:

	ITI
	460 Park Plaza West
	10700 SW Beaverton-Hillside Hwy.
	Beaverton, OR  97005
	503/644-0111 TLX/703920

Moreover, if you, or anyone else has constructive feedback to offer on this
product, it would be greatly appreciated.  I  am new to this business and
would like to be sure I'm using the tools most suited to my needs and those
of my clients.
--
Robert A. Bullington
20 Village Street #2