upgrading to OSx 5.od and gnu

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Wed Oct 3 02:20:27 AEST 1990

>Has anyone tried to compile gcc-1.37.1 on a Pyramid under OSx 5.0d?

I've compiled it here on a 9840 and an MIS 4/2, but targeted for a 68000. I've
been quite pleased with it; on many local optimizations it does a better job
than the GreenHills C we purchased from Oasys. And I was pleased to see that
the large number of portability problems in gcc itself have been resolved. But
it does emit bad code more than I'd like at this point.

>when attempting to recompile with gcc ( in both universes).

OK, maybe I'm just begging to be flamed, but I gotta ask: I can see writing a
Pyramid CPU backend for gcc as a fun and useful pedagogical exercise. But why
would anyone want to use gcc for production work instead of the Pyramid's
native compiler? gcc doesn't generate anywhere near as good code (either local
or global), and it has lots more bugs. If you want to write and compile strict
ANSI C code, then I could see it; but ANSI C is the exception these days, and
it's usually easy to convert to compile with K&R compilers.

<csg>