upgrading to OSx 5.od and gnu

Tom Adams - 235-7459 adams at swbatl.sbc.com
Wed Oct 3 08:01:17 AEST 1990

In article <129037 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>or global), and it has lots more bugs. If you want to write and compile strict
>ANSI C code, then I could see it; but ANSI C is the exception these days, and
>it's usually easy to convert to compile with K&R compilers.

That's exactly why I'm trying to get this working.  Much gnu stuff is ANSI C,
and there's a lot more code than I care to convert, *and* keep up to date
afterwards.  And while production  use isn't the goal, I'd still like to be
able to compare gcc and the CLE myself.  Actually I just want the Pyramid and
the Amdahl to play chess :)

Torbjorn Granlund <tege at sics.se> was kind enough to send patches that
correct the gcc problem I encountered.  I'll forward them to whoever
wants them.

These patches corrected the gcc bootstrap error, but the gcc compiled
gcc doesn't make any difference in the behavior of Xchess, and gnuchess
3.1.  Does anyone have these guys running on 5.0{...d}?

Interesting thought, using 68k targeted gcc on the Pyramid.  We use the
Oasys 68K assembler, and have assembler coders around.  I suppose that
generating S records from gcc is too much to ask for?  Perhaps *I'm*
begging to be flamed now?
uunet!swbatl!adams or adams at swbatl.sbc.com
Tom Adams: 314-235-7459: Southwestern Bell Telephone Advanced Technology Lab
BOOKS WANTED: pre-1930 radio, electrical & scientific topics