Configuring modem port for outgoing modems?

Chris Anderson chris at utgard.uucp
Sat Oct 13 07:27:48 AEST 1990

I've been having a bit of a problem with hooking up an outgoing
modem to our itp.  When I initially put the modem on, I hooked it
up with a straight through cable, put the /dev/tty entry into
Devices, and tried to call it with 'cu'.  Couldn't get into it,
the open was failing.  I've included a script of the session
below.

     % cu -d -s 2400 -l /dev/ttyi13
     altconn called
     Device Type Direct wanted
     mlock ttyi13 succeeded
     timed out
     generic open timeout
     set interface UNIX
     getto ret -1
     Connect failed: CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE
     call cleanup(1)
     call _mode(0)

"Aha!", I thinks, "either the permissions are wrong on
/dev/ttyi13, or the itp is configured wrong."

Well, the permissions are ok (666, not right, but it shouldn't
keep me from accessing the modem via cu).  Here they are:

crw-rw-rw-   1 uucp     root      39, 13 Sep 20 12:26 /dev/ttyi13
crw-rw-rw-   1 uucp     root      39, 14 Sep 26 14:12 /dev/ttyi14

ttyi14 already has a working outgoing modem.

So, I looked at the itp configuration.  After reading the manual,
it seemed like you could change the itp config on the fly,
without rebooting the machine.  So I did.  Here's the current
entry into our /etc/brc:

/etc/nlditp -h 0x00ff /dev/itp40 /dev/ttyi00 /etc/mcode/i.out
/etc/nlditp -c 0xff00 /dev/itp40 /dev/ttyi00 /etc/mcode/i.out

To me, this says that we have a hard carrier on ttyi08-ttyi15,
and software flow control on ttyi00-ttyi07.  When this was
initially set up, this was fine.  However, we now have the
following:

    ttyi00:                 3-wire terminal
    ttyi02-ttyi04:          3-wire direct connects (uucp and cu
                            traffic)
    ttyi05-ttyi07:          printers
    ttyi08-ttyi09:          incoming modems
    ttyi13-ttyi15:          outoing modems

So, I figure that we need the following:

/etc/nlditp -h 0x0007 /dev/itp40 /dev/ttyi00 /etc/mcode/i.out
/etc/nlditp -c 0xff08 /dev/itp40 /dev/ttyi00 /etc/mcode/i.out

And I did that, from the command line.  With the system up (guts
I have... it's other things that I'm lacking...).  Amazingly
enough, things stopped working. :-) Weird things started to
happen, ports locking up for no reason, printers stopping
working, etc.  So, coward that I am, I restored things, rebooted
the machine with the old config and sat down to think.

So, with all that, I have a couple of questions:

    1.  Can you run nlditp with the system running?  Or can I put
        the weirdness down to that?

    2.  Are the nlditp commands that I have correct for the
        config that I want?  Why not? :-)

    3.  Am I off-base with thinking that the itp config is the
        culprit in not letting me connect to the modem?  Or
        should I be looking elsewhere?

If it makes any difference, we're running the att
init-getty-login, uucp logs into the att side, I'm using HDB
uucp, we've installed a recent PTF tape. and uname -a shows the
following:

    OSx128M pyrgard 5.0d-900221 0626d Pyramid-9825

So, could anyone give me some insight?

Thanks in advance.

Chris