IBM connectivity (Was: A better way ...)

Mike Oliver moliver at shadow.pyramid.com
Thu Oct 25 04:51:43 AEST 1990

In article <2441 at runxtsa.runx.oz.au> signum at runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Signum Software) writes:
>Do you think it would be interesting to be able to ...
> [text asking whether you'd like to have a particular set of
>  features available on your Pyramid ...]

Since the subject of IBM comms has been broached in this newsgroup, I'd
like to open it up a little.  Pyramid has an internal wish list of IBM
connectivity products that we think would be useful (read: that people
would buy) and that we'd like to do.  Some of the items on the list are
new hardware platforms for the existing products, others are new
software products.  We even have the list arranged in some order of
priority.  However, that prioritisation is based on a small amount of
fairly casual contact with real customers, and on what we in
Engineering think would be interesting.

So before we commit resources to development, I thought I'd open up the
floor to suggestions.

The question is, "What IBM comms products would you like to have
available on your Pyramid ?".  I'm open to suggestions for new products
and suggestions for changes to existing products.

*** Disclaimer: I don't set policy here.  I can't even pretend to
guarantee that we'll act on any suggestions; I _can_ guarantee that
we'll read and give consideration to any and all suggestions that are
made.

Just to get the ball rolling, some of the items on our list (in no
particular order) are:

	. A more powerful comms controller board - in particular,
	  support for 4 64Kbps SDLC lines per board.

	. SNA over Token Ring.

	. The ability to control 3270 devices from the Pyramid.

	. Accounting options on the existing products.

We're definitely doing the first of these.  The others have varying
degrees of likelihood.

Follow up here or in e-mail.

Regards, Mike.

moliver at pyramid.com
{allegra,decwrl,hplabs,munnari,sun,utai,uunet}!pyramid!moliver