A better way to connect to IBM machines.

Cam Spillman trjcs at swpyr2.sbc.com
Thu Oct 25 10:15:40 AEST 1990

In article <2441 at runxtsa.runx.oz.au> signum at runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Signum Software) writes:

>Do you think it would be interesting to be able to access
>applications on a Pyramid from terminals or devices in an
>existing SNA network?  This could include, but would not
>be limited to, 3270 devices, ATMs, PCs, AS/400s, S/36s etc.
> [...]
>The sort of solution I had in mind would involve a high speed link
>between the Pyramid and an NCP, that would give ALL devices in the
>SNA network access to the Pyramid, without changing the SNA network
>at all.
We here at SWBT have installed a reverse protocol converter, sold by
the Intel folks.  It allows terminals on a VTAM network to access the
RPC box, select a terminal attribute (vt100, etc.), then telnet to a
host.  Things like 'vi' and other screen-oriented utilities/packages
seem to work well.  Of course the IBM 3270-type terminals are missing
line-drawing sets and have a few oddball characters that must be re-mapped
but it works nonetheless.

>Alternativley, a link to an AS/400 would give the same benefits for
>all the 5250s and applications in the APPN network.
We also have AS/400's we are planning to hook up to our Pyramids via
either a)IBM AS/400 ethernet-tcp/ip option, b)Mitek AS/400 tcp/ip interface,
or IBM RS6000/IBM 'viaduct' tools.  Options a and b look workable for
pass-through telnet stuff, and option c would allow querying of the AS/400
database via remotely submitted SQL queries as well as some other cute
rpc-style things (requiring some measure of coding, of course).

>Also, would anyone like to be able to directly connect SNA devices
>such as 3274s to their Pyramid system?
Not only no, but hell, no....
:Cam Spillman - Southwestern Bell Telephone - Finance Dept:
: UUCP: uunet!swpyr2!trjcs INTERNET: trjcs at swpyr2.SBC.COM :