Upgrade to OSX 5.0

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at able
Wed Oct 10 03:22:27 AEST 1990

>We have a pyramid 98xe with 8megs of memory.  We are planning to upgrade
>to OSX 5.0 from 4.0 this month.  The local service man warns us that OSX
>5.0 will severely degrade the operation of our system.

Sounds like a communication gap with your SE. Speaking as a Pyramid user,
I've got three 98x's and two 98xe's running OSx 5.0, and 5.0 was definitely
*faster* than OSx 4.4.

What your SE may be concerned about is that you don't have enough memory.
5.0 is bigger than 4.4. I *was* having some thrashing problems with my 98xe
with only 8MB memory trying to run 64 users, and upgraded to 16MB. No more
problems. With a very naked kernel (no virtual disk, no comm products), you
might squeak by.

I wouldn't bother with OSx 5.0, though; it's still not stable. Go straight
to OSx 5.1, which I think has already been shipping for a while.

<csg>