cpio -itB in 5.1 Bugg ??

theresa.hadden thadden at cbnewsb.cb.att.com
Sat Apr 27 05:52:27 AEST 1991

We are having a similar problem of cpio hangs while doing backups on
a System 7080 (MIS12/06). After recently upgrading to OSx5.1, we started
having tpae drives "hang" during cpio backups. Ours locks only when more
than 1 drive is being used. If we use only 1 tape drive, everything seems
fine. Start a second drive, and it will probably lock up within a few
minutes to an hour or so.

We experience this on all tape devices (8mm and 9 track) which are spread
across several IOP/TPE's. This problem was not evident before the OSx
upgrade. This forces us to use only a single tape drive to backup nearly
12 Gb every night...14-16hrs! ...while 5 other drives sit idle.

Russell Grokett
American Transtech
ATTMAIL: attmail!ati501!rgrokett