cpio -itB in 5.1 Bugg ??

Anders Grund IMD angr at imdpy1.im.se
Sat Apr 20 01:17:38 AEST 1991

After installing OSx5.1 we have had problems with checking our backups.
What we do is generating a list whith find, to a temporary file. Then
we do a cpio -ovB, from that list of files, basicly what is recommended
in the release bullentin for OSx5.1. (lately we have used the -P flag as well)

Five times in about two and a half week, cpio -itB has been hung after
reading the tape for a while (i don't now the time). It's not very neat
when you are backing upp something like 3 -4 Gb every night, and have
programmers working all day long.

When cpio are hung it has also stopt reading the tape.

The *worst* thing is that i have too take down the machine in single user.
Two of the times i even had to halt it !!!

The machine is Mis12/03 running OSX5.1, i find it *very* inconvenient
that you can't verify your tapes.

Unfourtunately the data which is written to the tape, to which cpio -itB
has been hung seems to work. We had a disk crasch the other day so i
had to use those tapes...........

What is the problem ?

Thank's
Anders