Mailing the output of a command run from cron

John Sims john at pta.oz.au
Fri Apr 12 08:20:59 AEST 1991

In article <1031 at lucifer.UUCP> rst at lucifer.UUCP ( 233) writes:
>I am trying to get cron to mail me the standard output and standard error of
>regularly run commands. I have an entry that looks like this:-
>
>/usr/local/etc/crontab/evening |& mail -s "Evening cleanup" sysadmin
>
>I know the command is being executed, but the mail is never sent. Any ideas?

Assumption: you are talking about ucb cron, not att.

Two things:

Your command line uses csh syntax. cron only talks Bourne shell.

cron tends to run with a fairly restricted path (ours runs with only /bin and
/usr/bin), and /bin/mail (again, on our system) doesn't like -s. Try using
the full pathname (probably /usr/ucb/mail).

If this doesn't get you anywhere, let me know wither by posting or email.

John.

--
      -m-------  John Sims                       UUCP: pyramid!pta!john
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology Corporation  INTERNET: john at pta.oz.au