Exabyte SCSI on MIServer

John Cuoppolo john at pyrtor.UUCP
Sat Apr 6 02:57:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr1.231614.4534 at hub.cs.jmu.edu> mmiller at hub.cs.jmu.edu (Marcus Miller) writes:
>As the summary says, we are trying to hook up an Exabyte 5Gig 8mm tape
>drive to our Pyramid MIS 12 system.  The problem is that when the
>system boots, it doesn't recognize that the drive is hooked up to the
>SCSI Host Adapter.  It picks up the MSI and the IOS but doesn't
>recognize the drive.  RTOC has been some help, in that they have
>sent documentation on configuring a SCSI device,  but they claim that
>they don't support the Exabyte drive.  Our sales rep, on the other
>hand, claims that they do support the Exabyte drive!
>
>Does anyone out there know if it is even possible to set up this
>type of configuration, and if so, does pyramid support it.

The problem is that at OSx does not include the device driver for the
SCSI Exabyte .(Pyramid does not support this but it does work).

I have installed a SCSI CYBERNETIC 8mm drive on an MIS-4 and it works
well. The nice thing about Cybernetics is that they include the SCSI
device drivers when you purchase their drives for the Pyramid .
The drivers are installed easily,you then remake your Kernel and
away you go! ( Exabyte does not include device drivers- good luck).

** One very important thing to keep in mind is to make sure the SCSI
interface on the drive matches that of the one in your system.
ie. differential vs. single-ended.