Out of band data

Ajit Rasiah A.J.Rasiah at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jan 31 09:21:12 AEST 1991

Hello!

I am trying to use the out-of-band (OOB) facility of UNIX sockets. I tried a

	send(s, "out of band data", 16, MSG_OOB);       /* 1 */
	write(s, "string 2", 8);         		/* 2 */

When I perform a read() I get the string "out of band dat".

It appears that the string "out of band dat" (note the missing last character)
is considered low-priority, and the logical mark identifying the start of the
urgent data is in fact the missing last character (the 'a'). This implies
that the string "string 2" is actually the urgent data!

Why is this? What I want, is to be able to read the urgent data separately
from the low-priority without mixing them up. What is the best approach I
should use?

Please reply to A.J.Rasiah at massey.ac.nz

Thanks in advance.