dbx problem on 4D/20

Ian S. Small ian at dgp.toronto.edu
Sat Dec 31 09:24:28 AEST 1988

We have a 4D/20 on loan to us for a few weeks to test it out, port
some code, and generally bounce it off the walls to see if it breaks.
Our previous Iris was a 2400Turbo, so we have no experience with the
Mips-based products.

At the moment, we are attempting to port some C code which makes heavy
use of identifiers of type double.  While trying to determine why results
are different on our Suns from on the 4D/20, we discovered that when
you print the value of an identifier of type double in dbx:

	print identifier

or of a structure containing doubles, only the first six digits appear
to be printed.  We are not familiar with System V, which may be the
real culprit (System V dbx and all that).  Things like:

	printf "%20.18e", identifier

have not done us any good, as some apparently random value is printed.
We have no manuals, so cannot resort to RTFMing, I'm afraid.

How do we go about printing the complete contents of an identifier of
type double?  (It's oh so easy on a Sun, although in most other respects
the Mips dbx seems far superior to the Sun dbx.)

Please don't flood the newsgroup with answers to this question - I'm
sure it's quite basic and would bore 99% of the readers.  Please e-mail
to ian at dgp.toronto.edu instead.

Thanks in advance

ian
--
Ian S. Small (416) 978-6619       Dynamic Graphics Project
				  Computer Systems Research Institute
UUCP/CSNET:  ian at dgp.toronto.edu