AI and Irises

James F. Brinkley brinkley at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Dec 31 08:29:19 AEST 1988

Does anyone know of any expert system shells that run on the Irises, especially
the Personal Iris? We currently have a graphics program on an Iris 3020 that
draws anatomical objects from slices. We are planning to get several
Personal Irises and a 4D/70 to make that program run faster, but we'd
like to couple it with a knowledge base of anatomy as well as a database
so that we can create "intelligent" interactive student modules that
will be able to display the anatomic objects differently depending on what
the student knows. In talking to SGI I get the feeling that they
are not really in the AI market, so we're thinking of getting a
MACII/Microexplorer for the expert system, with remote procedure calls
to the graphics program on the Iris. But I'd rather do it all on the
Iris.
	I've looked at the Fall 1988 Geometry Partners directory
and it looks like even Lisp isn't really available yet for the Personal
Iris. Any pointers to current or planned implementations of Lisp or
expert systems on the Personal Iris would be welcome. We are also interested
in hypercard-like interfaces.
THanks.
Jim Brinkley
Dept. Biological Structure