Can I make system calls from Iris Fortran?

Steve Gaarder sparks at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Wed Jul 6 07:35:57 AEST 1988

I am writing a program in Fortran on a 3020 that needs to do some Unix
calls to read and change directories.  The usual set of Fortran library
routines for the purpose are totally absent from the manual.
Do they really not exist, or are they just
not documented?  Even AT&T("all you get is system V") provides the Fortran
routines!  Is there a reasonably portable way to make system calls directly
from Fortran?
--
Steve Gaarder
Cornell University, 171 Hollister, Ithaca NY 14853           607-255-5389
BITNET: sparks at crnlthry.BITNET        ARPA: sparks at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu