ksh on 4D

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Fri Jul 22 09:42:13 AEST 1988

In article <1000 at virginia.acc.virginia.edu>, mlj8e at dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Michael L. Johnson) writes:
> I have been trying to get the Korn shell "ksh" to run on my 4D/70
> (software release 2.2) and I
> need help.  If I "make" it for system V then the wild card expansion
> in statements like "rm *.o" does not work correctly.  If I make it for BSD
> then it thinks that I should have job control.  My local unix guru
> tells me that I need to "fix the source code".
>
>                                      Michael L. Johnson
>                                      mlj8e at mljsg.pharm.Virginia.EDU

The big problem is that the older versions of KSH did not deal with the
V.3 directory access routines correctly.  If you take a look at expand.c,
you'll notice it refers to a 'struct dirent', which is Berkeley flavor.
V.3 uses a 'struct direct' which is slightly different.  I fixed it by
modifying to the V.3 scheme and turning on the BSD define locally in the file.
You'll also want to use '-lsun -lbsd' on the link line, so as to
pull in proper yellow pages and NFS support.

Also, turn on the VIRAW define and run in raw all the time.  You'll avoid
lots of problems.  Finally, compile everything with the -signed option,
which treats characters as signed (which is compatabile with most systems).
MIPS does unsigned chars by default because they are much simpler to
generate code for.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computing Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'