a question for you all...

root root at sbcs.sunysb.edu
Tue Nov 8 23:07:28 AEST 1988

In article <1988Nov7.202653.19354 at utzoo.uucp>, henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <1861 at eos.UUCP> steve at eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) writes:
> >   Is it alright for us to swap the 20 amp connector on the power
> >cable to a 15 amp connector? ...
>
> It may void your warranty :-), and it just might void your UL rating --
> not a trivial consideration if you want the equipment to be covered by
> your building's fire insurance! -- but our experience is that the Plug

	Would it though?  I don't see a clause anywhere in my home fire
	insurance policy that states "all electrical equipment/wiring
	must carry a UL/CSA rating".  All it says on such subjects is
	if I "knowingly increase" a hazard my insurance *may* be void.
	If strict UL/CSA were required, quite a few people are going to
	have to throw out various items around the house, eg old refrig's,
	radios, etc.  After all, any gadget that is properly certified
	can be used in such a way as to cause a fire, eg a hotplate is
	UL'ed, but I will bet it can cause a fire :-).

	I thought that although UL is required by law in some states in
	some states in order to sell, but it is primarily CVA for the manufacturers.

> Police don't come and haul you away if you do this.
> --
> The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook