dog, radar, shadow, etc. & tcp/ip

David Jevans jevans at .ucalgary.ca
Mon Nov 21 13:00:49 AEST 1988

In article <8811151756.AA02930 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>      We have GL2-W3.6 on an IRIS 3130 and I have tried to run the dog
> demo, but it dies with the following error: Ethernet init failed.
> The workstation release notes says that dog works on an IRIS running
> NFS or TCP/IP.  Does it or doesn't it.

The dog program on our Irises uses xns instead of tcp/ip.  If
xns is not installed you will get the Ethernet init failed message.
A tcp/ip version has been around for about 2 years now
(thanks Andy and others...), but I don't know if sgi
has it or ships it for 3000s.  The Personal Iris that is here on
demo has dog, and I believe that it uses tcp/ip.

One problem with the tcp/ip version of dog is that it
sends broadcast messages all over the ether.  This can
cause severe problems to remote machines, in particular,
vaxen.  I think I saw this documented in the 4D20 documentation
somewhere.  Anyway, I fixed our 3000 version so it only sends to machines
that it knows about.

David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans