followup on DR11 interface for a compute server

Dave Martindale dave at onfcanim.UUCP
Sun Nov 6 05:54:23 AEST 1988

A few weeks ago, I posted a query about DR11-type interfaces to plug
into an SGI compute server (basically a 4D machine without graphics)
for the purposes of attaching a Celco film recorder.

In addition to a couple of messages from the world at large, I got a
reply directly from someone at SGI.  Apparently there is such a board,
with considerably more capability than a real DR11-W.  We're still
discussing how to get a driver for it.  I don't have anything more
concrete to report yet - we won't actually be hooking this up until
sometime next year, when we have our new compute server.

However, I did want to point out that I'm impressed by the personal
attention that Al Whaley at SGI is giving this.  We're a small
operation that will never buy hardware in large quantities, and have
never received this kind of individual attention from any hardware
vendor in the past.

I've criticised SGI in the past when I though they were doing something
dumb; I think they deserve public praise when they do something
exceptionally well.

	Dave Martindale