IO error in swap. Solution.

markb at denali markb at denali
Fri Nov 18 09:28:41 AEST 1988

In article <8811111004.aa02491 at SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, BTP408 at DBTHRZ5.BITNET writes:
> Date:  7-NOV-1988 20:42:35.77
> From: BTP408 AT DBTHRZ5
> To:   UBT0::GATEWAY::"info-iris at brl.mil"
> Subj: HELP!!!
> Hi,
>
> we have great problems with our Iris 4d/70g, which our local SGI-people
> can not solve !?! (not in 1 month) Our system breaks down when it should swap,
> whith the error message :
>                           PANIC swap seg, IO error in swap.
>
> E. Bodenschatz & A. Weber

IO error in swap is fatal to the machine, as unix has no way to know what
to do about missing memory.  This is not unique to any release.  You must
determine (via fx, if need be) where your bad block is and simply map it
out.

You should use the default exercise pattern (6db....) and if that
does not find it, alternate to a5, aa, if necessary in fx.
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
Mountain View, CA			     ---Hunter S. Thompson