videotaping from the iris

Stephen King king at client2.DRETOR.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 02:41:35 AEST 1988

In article <6554 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> jdchrist at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Dan Christensen) writes:
>I am trying to videotape what is appearing on the Iris monitor.
>In other words, I want NTSC output.  I read the section of the
>'Peripherals' manual, on the video boards, and have tried changing
>everything I could find.  Has anyone been able to do this?

To the best of my knowledge, no stock IRIS will output NTSC. You can get
the RS-170 display option (could be called NTSC) which provides RGB
video with the same timing specs as NTSC, but not videotapable composite
video; that requires a colour modulator. There is a cheap colour modulator
available - ACK! - I can't find the description, but it is about $300 US.
I built a colour modulator using the MC1377 chip, cost about $35 and works
well enough, considering the price. The easiest way to do what you want is
simply to point a video camera at the IRIS screen and shoot. The other
devices are scan convertors costing $thousands which convert the IRIS
output to RS-170, or, perhaps, NTSC. I have yet to see these things work,
so cannot comment on their performance. This is a common question, so
please post the results of your inquiry, and the performance of any device
that you hook up to you system. Thanks.
--
=-=-=-=  Stephen J King  =-=-=-=-=-=-=  DCIEM Human Factors Division  =-=-=-=
  {utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!zorac!dretor!king  or  king%dretor at zorac.dciem.dnd.ca