Experiences with 4D/2xx as timesharing systems?

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Thu Apr 13 01:14:12 AEST 1989

In article <8904111520.AA05578 at adt.uucp>, madd at adt.UUCP (jim frost) writes:
> Could we get some info on your benchmark?  I'm particularly interested
> in how each FS was tuned.  I tend to believe the results considering
> the FS throughput our SGI's have, but tuning can be everything.  I'd
> also like to know what you do to keep fragmentation down when the FS
> fills up; I'm curious.

Send me some personal mail and I'll send you a copy of the benchmark I used.
The test was done on a clean filesystem on both, with no other activity
going on.  Both systems were "stock" as delivered from the manufacturer.

> Our biggest complaint about SGI performance is that it degrades
> substantially over time.  I'm fairly certain that this is a VM problem
> since it happens with every large application I've run, including some
> which have pretty clean usage and do *not* have this problem under 4.3
> BSD.  The system returns to its former spunkiness after reboot.  I
> might expect that it's related to 4Sight except that logout/login
> doesn't correct the problem.

I've never seen this; do you have any quantitative data?  What release are
you running?  Our big server (maddog) is a multi-user machine running builds,
etc., all the time.  We've never seen it slow down over time.  If this
really happens, I really want to fix it!

> jim frost
> madd at bu-it.bu.edu

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'