Experiences with 4D/2xx as timesharing systems?

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Wed Apr 12 10:11:30 AEST 1989

In article <89Apr11.122420edt.38132 at neat.ai.toronto.edu>, lamy at ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:
> How does one dump/restore an SGI server with about 4Gigs?
> (we currently have essentially unattended dumps at night over the network,
> using the Berkeley rdump/rrestore combo, to a pair of Exabytes).  Is
> anything remotely similar possible with SGI machines?

You can buy officially supported Exabyte-style drives from SGI, and put your
own 2Gb tapes in them.  The 'bru' command should support dump/restore
to this device, as well as tar and cpio.  One of my personal favorites to
save tape and speed the backup is to compress the data, for example:

	find . -newer lastbackup -print | cpio -oc | compress -v -f |\
		rsh remote "dd bs=16k of=/dev/tape"

Compression is slow, but Exabyte tape drives are slower, so there you are ...

-- jmb