3D input

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Thu Feb 23 02:57:50 AEST 1989

In article <1989Feb21.094645.25612 at LTH.Se>, newsuser at LTH.Se (LTH network news server) writes:

> After buying the 6D steering ball, we approached SGI and asked them
> to support it.  We think it's a fantastic device, and much in line
> with the ``high-tech'' image of SGI.  In particular, we suggested
> they would hook it up to the Graphics Library, much like the Dial
> and Button box which is also connected to an RS-232 port.
> One of the big advantages would be event input from the ball.
>
> Unfortunately, they were not interested, and would not release
> source code of GL so we could do it ourselves.  Pity.
>
> Dag M. Bruck
> --
> Department of Automatic Control		Internet:  dag at control.lth.se
> Lund Institute of Technology
> P. O. Box 118				Phone:	+46 46-108779
> S-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN			Fax:    +46 46-138118

Don't be too hard on us.  Unlike you, we can't just go out and decide to
sell these things on a moment's notice.  Consider what you, as a user and
customer, need to see from us:

1) The driver has to work properly, which means extensive testing.

2) It needs power.  Do you want another line cord (and transformer, etc.)
   or can we power it off the machine?

3) FCC, UL, etc., have to bless the setup (protects us as well as the user).

4) Just "hooking up to the GL" isn't easy, and having the GL code wouldn't
   do you any good anyway.  Events such as these are handled by NeWS, so it
   can pass off the data to whatever window is active.  So to do this right,
   you need mods to the kernel, the GL and 4Sight.

5) You'd probably like us to document it as well, hopefully accurately.  That
   means we need to update the Owner's Guide, the GL programers guide, the
   4Sight programmer's guide, the system administrators manual, the Field
   Engineering support documentation, and who knows what else.

6) Quality has to test the thing and make sure it stands up to random static
   discharges, doesn't fry in a couple months, and other nicities.  Field
   Engineering has to figure out how to service the thing.

7) We have to make a deal with the manufacturer to get a reasonable price at
   some volume, so we can re-sell it at a reasonable price as well, as well
   as getting our investment back.

Given at least all this, it shouldn't surprise you that an initial reception
to the idea was lukewarm.  We need lot's of people to tell us they'd pay
money for it for it to be worthwhile to OEM.

In any case, lot's of people HAVE told us they'd pay money for it, so we are
working an productizing a space ball now (we're still evaluating the
available products).  You should hear more in the near future.  Don't try
and order one - you can't until we announce it.

Considering the amount of work requried to OEM such a device, I believe that
SGI moves quicker than most other computer manufactureres that I have seen.
But we can't move mountains overnight.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'