At, Batch and system load.

Scott Presnell srp at socrates.ucsf.edu
Thu Feb 2 02:15:52 AEST 1989

Hi,
	I have have a couple of questions about "at" and "batch" under IRIX
3.1 (on a 4D/20G).  From reading the man page and looking at the
configuration files, it seems there exists the possibility to configure the
at control system at two different points. One is using the
/usr/lib/cron/queuedefs file, mine looks like this:

	a.4j1n
	b.2j2n90w

>From the short description in the man page the letter stands for the queue,
and the stuff following the the point is the configuration of that queue.
Unfortunately there is no documentation (that I can find) on what the
symbols mean, or anything.  Can someone point me to some documentation on
that subject?
	Similarly the file /usr/lib/cron/.proto file has some variables in
it that appear to allow specific configuration of each job. The file is
much in the same style as one might use for configuring rn ($d ==
directory, $l == ulimit, etc).  Is there any documentation for these
variables?

+++

	My second question has to do with system load.  Once again the man
page for batch suggests that system load is taken into account when
scheduling jobs, I would be interested in knowing how is this done.  I
would also like to be able to determine the load on the machine, but not
using "sa." Is there a kernel variable/location that can be located (via.
nlist) and then read?

Scott Presnell						       +1 415 476 5326
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Univ. of Calif. at San Francisco (UCSF), San Francisco, CA. 94143
Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu UUCP: ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet