Window manager

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.SGI.COM
Thu Feb 2 05:39:38 AEST 1989

In article <19*finnd at vax.runit.unit.uninett>, finnd%vax.runit.unit.uninett at NORUNIX.BITNET (Finn Drablos) writes:
> >With normal user accounts, login at the console doesn't come up
> >with the window manager, but after some seconds, returns to login
> >prompt.  Root works fine, as usual.
>
> I have no suggestions about what is wrong, but we have had similar problems
> with our 4D/70 GT. We are running a pre-release version of the CLS/UX Cray-
> link software for communication with our local Cray. If we log off the
> Iris when CLS/UX is running, login on the graphics console does not work.
> Every other character typed at the login: prompt is not echoed, and even if
> we type every character twice, it is not accepted, and we are returned to
> the login: prompt. Sometimes we are able to get around it by doing a kill
> of the grcons process, but it does not always work.
These symptoms are typical when a daemon holds /dev/console open.  This leads
to the following sequence of events:
    1.	the console wsh and it's child shell do not get a controlling tty
    2.	because there's no controlling tty and consequently no process group
	the shell doesn't get killed on logout.
    3.  the phantom shell is still reading the keyboard when the new getty
	is spawned.
    4.  having two things reading the keyboard leads to the symptoms described.

I suspect that CLS/UX has a daemon process that is holding /dev/console open.
The fix is to make CLS/UX not hold open /dev/console.

	-Mark
--
	-Mark