Flight Simulators... (was concept of good landing)

jim frost madd at adt.UUCP
Tue Feb 28 01:41:57 AEST 1989

>I have been considering writing a flight
>simulator for the sun, and right now I am leaning toward game play rather
>than realism as its chief goal.  Comments?

Good luck.  Unless you do raw framebuffer manipulation, or have the
Sun graphics processor, Suns are far too slow to do reasonable
graphics on.  I suppose it wouldn't be that bad if you were doing wire
frame animation though.

As for realism versus game play, you might try for a mixture of both.
I don't particularly care if the game flies perfectly but it's pretty
disconcerting when an escape maneuver throws the plane into an
uncontrollable spin when in reality you would have just lost a lot of
altitude.  Just a thought.  Good explosions, flaming bits, twisting
wreckage, and the like would also be nice.  Kind of like some of those
arcade games they have now, polluting the minds of our younger
generation and all :-).

jim frost
madd at bu-it.bu.edu