3D input

LTH network news server newsuser at LTH.Se
Thu Feb 23 19:14:43 AEST 1989

In article <27256 at sgi.SGI.COM> jmb at patton.SGI.COM (Jim Barton) writes:
>In article <1989Feb21.094645.25612 at LTH.Se>, newsuser at LTH.Se (LTH network news server) writes:
>>
>> Unfortunately, they were not interested, and would not release
>> source code of GL so we could do it ourselves.  Pity.
>
>Don't be too hard on us.  Unlike you, we can't just go out and decide to
>sell these things on a moment's notice.  Consider what you, as a user and
>customer, need to see from us:

[ explanation deleted ]

>Considering the amount of work requried to OEM such a device, I believe that
>SGI moves quicker than most other computer manufactureres that I have seen.
>But we can't move mountains overnight.

I demonstrated the ball to Roger Allison (SGI/UK) on April 1st, 1987.
He also received a full set of documentation.

Let my quote his telex, dated April 13th, 1987:

	``I made a special request to Silicon Graphics, USA on your behalf
	for appropriate source to enable you to add in support for the
	sensor-ball to our graphics library.  Unfortunately, this request
	has been denied.  There is little interest in having an interface
	for this device on the 2400 system.''

I'm happy to hear that your interest for similar devices has increased over
time.  I would gratefully accept further information when it becomes
available.

I think I would have been less hard on you, had I received a detailed
explanation of your troubles marketing a new device in 1987.

Dag M Bruck

Department of Automatic Control		Internet:  dag at control.lth.se
Lund Institute of Technology
P. O. Box 118				Phone:	+46 46-108779
S-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN			Fax:    +46 46-138118