3D input

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Sat Feb 25 02:32:31 AEST 1989

In article <1989Feb23.101443.12312 at LTH.Se>, newsuser at LTH.Se (LTH network news server) writes:

> I demonstrated the ball to Roger Allison (SGI/UK) on April 1st, 1987.
> He also received a full set of documentation.
>
> Let my quote his telex, dated April 13th, 1987:
>
> 	``I made a special request to Silicon Graphics, USA on your behalf
> 	for appropriate source to enable you to add in support for the
> 	sensor-ball to our graphics library.  Unfortunately, this request
> 	has been denied.  There is little interest in having an interface
> 	for this device on the 2400 system.''
>
> I'm happy to hear that your interest for similar devices has increased over
> time.  I would gratefully accept further information when it becomes
> available.
>
> I think I would have been less hard on you, had I received a detailed
> explanation of your troubles marketing a new device in 1987.
>
> Dag M Bruck
>

> --
> Department of Automatic Control		Internet:  dag at control.lth.se
> Lund Institute of Technology
> P. O. Box 118				Phone:	+46 46-108779
> S-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN			Fax:    +46 46-138118

Be careful though - we will never support the space ball on anything but the
4D series.  You can, however, buy GL code for the 680X0 machines, I believe.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'