Network Security Violation

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.SGI.COM
Fri May 19 08:14:08 AEST 1989

In article <224 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, merritt at iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) writes:

> Try adding:
>
>     RemoteHostRegistry /loopback true put
>
> in the RemoteHostRegistry dictionary section of the file
> /usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/init.ps.  NeWS needs access to a network before
> it can open up windows.  Note: I tried:
>
>     /NetSecurityWanted false def
>
> but that didn't work.

No, no, no!  Never edit init.ps unless you really know what you are doing.

If you want to override things, do it from the user.ps file.  The system
default file is in /usr/NeWS/lib/user.ps or users can have individual ones
in their home directories.

In this particular case there is a command, newshost(1), that lets you
control the RemoteHostRegistry and enable and disable security.

The real problem here seems to be that someone edited the hosts file and
added loopback as the first name on the 127.1 line.  The problem has nothing
to do with the upgrade to 3.1D.

--
	-Mark