Network Security Violation

Bill Kish kish at porthos.rutgers.edu
Thu May 25 06:04:16 AEST 1989

A few months ago, I ran into this "Network Security Violation"
problem which has been getting some bandwidth in this news group
lately. I finally fixed it on our SGI's by borrowing a postscript
procedure from one of our SUNs which converts strings to lowercase.
Here is a diff of the init.ps which works without disabling NeWS
security and the default 3.1F init.ps:

579,580c579
< (NeWS/lower-case.ps) LoadFile
< RemoteHostRegistry localhostname LowerCase true put
---
> RemoteHostRegistry localhostname true put
603c602
<                 RemoteHostRegistry OriginatingHost LowerCase known
---
>                 RemoteHostRegistry OriginatingHost known

The source for /usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/lower-case.ps is:

%
% a fairly dumb lowercasing routine
%
/LowerCase { % string - lower-case-string
    10 dict begin
    /istr exch def			% save the input string
    /str istr length string def		% make an output string the same size
    0 1 istr length 1 sub {
	str exch			% str index for the put coming later
	dup istr exch get
	dup dup 65 ge exch 90 le and	% if (A =< char =< Z)
	{ 32 add} if			% then make lowecase
	put				% store into the output string
    } for
    str
    end
} def

If the person who posted the orignal message about this is still
having the same problem, give this a try - it worked for me and I
didn't have disable the NeWS security option.

-Bill Kish

email: kish at jove.rutgers.edu