Permissive Permissions

Thomas P. Mitchell mitch at rock.SGI.COM
Thu May 11 12:05:52 AEST 1989

In article <8905101550.AA02500 at lerc08.nas.nasa.gov>, fsfacca at LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:

> >>     I fail to see what the problem is?  / has world-writable, so what?!
> >> I would be concerned if it didn't.

It is a security problem --

	chmod 555 / ; is the "school solution"

> I suppose its just a matter of personal preference.  Some folks set the
> default permissions on the user's directory to 700 so that users can't go

	chmod 700 or 500 is wrong.

Many tools need read and search permissions -- Programs
which run with low user ID numbers run as users to limit
security problems.  See things like lp.

> snooping aroung in each others directories.  Personally, I think 755 is fine.
> If I have sensitive data I can explicity set the permissions.

Each user should own his own home dir.  He can set it to 700
if he wishes -- but that is nearly anti-social.  A better is
again 755 for $HOME and 700 for $HOME/someplace_private.

> However, by default, 777 on root??  / is no place for novice user's to have

True.  It is wrong.  Also simple to fix.

> write permission.  Moreover, if / is writeable by anybody, why even bother
> with a /tmp?  I don't know, it just doesn't *smell* right.  I'd have to agree
                                               ^^^^ tis wrong.
Exactly --  /tmp and /usr/tmp are 777 so anyone can make
tmp files.   Most users should use /usr/tmp/ by default
because it is larger.  Many system tools must use the
smaller /tmp because the /usr filesystem may not be
mounted.

Will the original poster email me the Serial Numbers of
the machines so I can follow up on this.  I am mitch at sgi.com