X Window System performance on Iris

baskett at SGI.COM baskett at SGI.COM
Fri May 12 03:42:07 AEST 1989

"Movement/resizing of the windows is one of the more important
functions of the window manager;"

True.

"making it a very slow function actually makes that window manager
unuseable."

Perhaps for you.  For most people I know, the window manager needs to
process input events quickly and efficiently, not use too much memory,
not use too many CPU cycles, and do menus and such tools quickly.  Most
people I know don't move or resize windows very many times per minute/
hour/day so the speed of those operations is not especially critical as
long as it is fast enough to not be irritating.  What is fast enough to
not be irritating is a personal judgement, too.  But Mark is right in
that you should try it before you make that judgement.

Forest Baskett