Windows

Thant Tessman thant at horus.SGI.COM
Wed May 17 01:02:16 AEST 1989

In article <8905151827.aa08875 at SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, JORDAN at gmr.COM writes:
> I'm not sure what the user really wants, but I would like to have the option
> of turning windows off, but still have graphics capability.  For my
> application (real-time graphical simulation) I do not need windows!!
> (Although, they do come in handy when I need to "vi" 4 files simultaneously).
>
> From what I understand, I cannot do graphics unless the window manager is
> running.  If anyone knows of a workaround, I'd be glad to listen.
>
> t. p. mugabi-jordan
> gm systems engineering
> 313-280-6766
> troy, michigan

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Why can't the application that doesn't
need the window manager just use ginit() and pretend the window manager isn't
there?

As I understand it, the window manager doesn't steal any cpu cycles unless
the mouse is moving, and even then it doesn't use (eventually won't use?)
more than 5%(?).  Is it the amount of memory it uses?  How does stuff about
when to swap stuff out get decided?

The only other thing I can think of is that other people can run windows on
top of the thing that thinks there isn't a window manager.  Is there a way to
lock other windows out?

thant at sgi.com "disclaim"