Windows

Phil Dykstra phil at BRL.MIL
Tue May 16 12:47:22 AEST 1989

Dave Rogers writes: "I want the option of having NO window manager."

I second (third?) this.  In this era of distributed processing and
remote graphics we use SGI's here remotely all the time.  The Crays,
or minis can rsh graphics display programs or use remote image display
tools.  In most of these cases you want to devote the entire machine
and display to that one application.  It is ridiculous to have to log
into the console to use the graphics.

As a hack, SGI told us how to startup up a skeleton 4Sight system if
none was running, but that requires modifying all of your applications
to do this, and alas is not yet binary compatible across the 4D line.

I miss the Mexless 3030 and the Maxless 4D that never was.  We are
probably stuck with window based graphics, but if I may paraphrase
(from memory) Andy van Dam a couple of months ago "Touting windowing
systems on graphics workstations is making a virtue out of a necessity."

- Phil