init.ps (was: Network Security Violations)

Archer Sully archer at elysium.sgi.com
Thu May 25 01:43:28 AEST 1989

In article <3172 at watale.waterloo.edu> tom at mims-iris.waterloo.edu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>> Mark Callow <sgi!msc%ramoth.SGI.COM at ucbvax.berkeley.edu> writes:
>>> No, no, no!  Never edit init.ps unless you really know what you are doing.
>
>fsfacca at LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:
>> I agree that init.ps is not a file which should be modified.
>
>OK, so I suppose you could figure out a way to modify the size and font
>of the default window using PostScript in user.ps, but for me, it was a
>lot easier looking it up in init.ps, and changing the window to be 40x80
>in font ScreenBold.  Have I committed a deadly sin?

Yes, and you >>will<< burn forever in H-E double toothpicks for it :-).

Whenever I want to modify the behavior of something I first look in
the standard PostScript files to see how its done.  Then I copy the
code to my user.ps, and make modifications there.  This usually works,
and it preserves my changes arcross releases.  To change the console
you can just copy the code from init.ps to user.ps, and change the font,
placement, etc...  There should be an example of this particular technique
in the 4Dgifts account, by the by.

Archer Sully (archer at sgi.com)

"life is short, filled with stuff"
		-- Lux Interior