slow windows

Reinhard Doelz doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue May 16 04:04:52 AEST 1989

Hi,
I noticed that having turned the accounting on slows down the window opening
as well. Must be caused by the slow accounting system (being not up to a
top performance anyway).
If you turn off accounting you might gain some speed. Logging in with the
option NOGRAPHICS (in upper case after the username on the login line) makes
the graphics console behave like a (very dull) text terminal. So you might
save a few megs of core. However, what is the 4D worth without its graphics?
My suggestion is that you have a look on the priorities: The news_ser process
always got a non-ageing prio of 64 on our system (somethying beyond 3.1D on
a 4D/80GT). Maybe you might want to change that with a
npri -h40 -p...
command inserting the right PID.  *TAKE CARE* not to use lower numbers -
otherwise your system is busy doing window stuff only.

Reinhard