Window Movement Frequency

Margaret Mikulska mem%inls1 at UCSD.EDU
Sat May 13 06:28:02 AEST 1989

To: info-iris at BRL.MIL
Subject: Window Movement Frequency (was X Window System performance on Iris)

Joe Garbarino writes:

>Is it true that you Iris users out there don't move windows very
>often?  I have to admit that my use of window systems may be different
>than the typical Iris user.  I often have many windows open at the
>same time, causing them to overlap, become obscured, etc.  What do you
>other Iris users think about this??  Am I in the minority or the
>majority?  Would it be irritating to you to spend twenty seconds
>moving a window as it now takes in the currently available X Window
>System implementation?  Let's hear from others on this issue.

I use many windows at the same time and manipulate them A LOT. Sometimes
when I could choose between a Sun-3 and an IRIS 3130, I preferred the
IRIS because of window speed. If it took me 20 sec to move a window,
I would go insane and give up on using the machine.
Seriously, a FAST windowing system which supports a large number of
windows is essential for me.

Margaret Mikulska

Univ. of California, San Diego
Institute for Nonlinear Science