vi problem (was: graphics problem on Personal Iris)

Tony Facca fsfacca at LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV
Tue May 9 00:03:45 AEST 1989

>Urs Meyer,		| meyer at ifi.unizh.ch  [ @relay.cs.net ]  writes:
>Another problem:
>Can somebody explain me, why vi needs a huge amount of space in /tmp?
>e.g.:
>
>	-rw-r--r--   1 meyer    100000 Mar 17 10:54 foo
>	% vi foo
>	-rw-------   1 meyer    835584 Mar 17 11:00 /tmp/Ex05442
>				^^^^^^!!

I don't know WHY but I seem to remember a way to get around the fact the
the default directory is /tmp   I "think" its something like:

	setenv TMPDIR /other/tmp

Then, when vi runs it uses the /other/tmp directory.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca at lerc08.nas.nasa.gov