No group id of 'mail' ???

Tony Facca fsfacca at LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV
Tue May 9 01:45:55 AEST 1989

I have just installed 3.1D on a 4D/70GT.  When the system is coming up, I
get two messages:

	mail: No group id of 'mail'

Also, each time I login, I get the same message.  Here is what I have checked
so far. The message is coming from /etc/init.d/mail initially, there is
a line which reads:

	chgrp mail . *

if I enter this command (as root in the /usr/mail dir) I get the message:

	chgrp: unknown group: mail

so then, I checked /etc/group, where there is indeed an entry for mail which
looks like:

	mail::4:root

So, whats the problem??  Any suggestions?  I can change the line in
/etc/init.d/mail to read:

	chgrp root . *

which would get rid of the messages, but.. what problems might this introduce?

Any suggestions, comments, etc.  are more than welcome.

Also:  Not running YP
       No entry in /etc/passwd for mail  (adding one didn't help anyway)
       Previous OS was 3.1C

Thanks in advance..
Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca at lerc08.nas.nasa.gov