Windows

Wiltse Carpenter wiltse at oceana.SGI.COM
Tue May 16 11:28:46 AEST 1989

In article <8905151354.aa11297 at ARDEC-AC4.ARDEC.ARPA>, kvancamp at PICA.ARMY.MIL (Ken Van Camp) writes:
>                                                  Then your visual
> editors don't work.  I guess that's why SGI moved vi from /bin to /usr/bin
> on the 4D's; you can't use it anyway without your window manager running.
>
> Some times I'd like to just login for text operations, and then I don't
> want to have to wait for 4Sight to start up.  Bad design, SGI!

On the Personal Iris it is possible to use vi without 4Sight.  If one
logs using the NOGRAPHICS flag (type NOGRAPHICS=1 after your login id),
then set the TERM environment variable to "iris-tp", vi should work.  It
may be necessary to also set the environment variable LINES to 40 (oops!).
For instance:

$ TERM=iris-tp
$ LINES=40
$ export LINES TERM

or

% setenv TERM iris-tp
% setenv LINES 40

Again, this only works on the Personal Iris (4D/20).  Here are some other
PI tricks:

You can set the colors that are used by the textport (the mode you get when
you login with NOGRAPHICS).  Get into "Manual Mode" from the prom menu and
type:

setenv screencolor 6f6f6f
setenv pagecolor f0f0f0
setenv logocolor 000000

The three variables take a 6 hex-digit rgb value for the screen background,
text background and logo color (The logo comes up if console is set to G).
They're retained in nvram too!

If Something Bad happens and you need to bring up the system in single
user mode, get into manual mode and set the environment variable "initstate"
to "s":

setenv initstate s

and then type "auto".  This is a one-shot deal and isn't saved in nvram.

	-Wiltse Carpenter