Window Movement Frequency (was X Window System performance on Iris)

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.SGI.COM
Sun May 14 10:17:18 AEST 1989

In article <8905121836.AA11850 at csd360b.erim.org>, jgarb at CSD360B.ERIM.ORG (Joe Garbarino) writes:

> Forest Baskett of SGI says:
> majority?  Would it be irritating to you to spend twenty seconds
> moving a window as it now takes in the currently available X Window
> System implementation?  Let's hear from others on this issue.

I agree that it is irritating to spend 20 seconds moving a window.
I also agree that the performance of the X special we started sending out
in November, as I explained earlier, leaves something to be desired.

You don't say what machine you are using.  As I said earlier, a microcode
problem on the GTX rendered uwm on that machine intolerable.
That problem is fixed in 3.1 Rev G, which contains the X product we are about
to start shipping.  That product, as I also indicated earlier, is anywhere
from 5 to 100 times faster that what you have now.  uwm is completely
usable on all GT, GTX and Personal Iris products.  It will not take you
20 seconds to move a window.

Wait until you see it before you judge it.

--
	-Mark