Printing and Backups on the SGI

Patrick Wolfe pwolfe at kailand.kai.com
Thu May 18 23:58:47 AEST 1989

> /* Written by eap at bu-cs.bu.edu */
>   We have several IRIS 4D's here and I would like to do the following:
>   1.  Be able to print to a remote Unix host and be recognized by the
>       Berkeley lpd daemon.

Certainly would be nice, but then, IRIX *is* System V, not BSD.  There is the
"plp" program package (an enhanced, compatible replacement for BSD lpd and
friends) that was posted to comp.sources.unix about six months to a year
back, but I looked at it and it hadn't been ported to system V.  If someone
has the time and gets this working, please post.

>   2.  I would like to use bsd dump/restore (and rdump/rrestore) for backups.

Here here!  I've been using Gnu tar on both of our System V machines, since I
certainly don't want to use the 60 Mb cartridge tape drives to backup a 280
Mb disk drive.  You could go broke trying to buy enough cartridge tapes for a
couple of months worth of monthly, weekly, and daily backups.

Gnu tar required some work to get it working on the Iris.  If you are
interested in the patches, send email.

Patrick Wolfe	(pat at kai.com, {uunet,uiucuxc}!kailand!pat)
System Manager, Kuck and Associates, Inc.