Windows

Mike Goss goss at SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM
Thu May 18 01:45:36 AEST 1989

Regarding the message from phil at BRL.MIL:

>  That is, I object to MAX starting and stopping based on someone logging
>  into the physical console.  There shouldn't have to be *anyone* logged in
>  to use the graphics.  You should be able to rexec/rsh graphics programs.
>  The mechanism/services of the window system shouldn't be tied to a
>  particular user ID.
>
>  There are security issues to tackle with this, but I wish the presence
>  of MAX wasn't tied to someone logging in/out of the console.  Has anyone
>  at SGI thought of a way to implement this?
>
>  - Phil

There is a way to run graphics programs on the 4D under release 3.1
without logging in at the console (for example, from another terminal):

    1)	Execute the command "/etc/gl/restartgl".  This will start
	the window manager at the console, running as your user ID
	(make sure you logout or kill the window manager when
	you're done).  You will need to wait a few seconds for
	it to load, as you would if you had logged in at the
	console itself.

    2)	Run your graphics programs.

    3)	When done, you can get rid of the window manager doing a
	"ps -ef" command to find process "/etc/gl/grcond", and
	then killing that process (or you can logout at the console
	itself).

I've tried this on a 4D/60T, but it will probably work on any IRIS
running software release 3.1.  It's not the most convenient procedure
in the world, but it will let you do what you want to do.

Mike Goss, Merit Technology Inc.