monitoring swap space usage

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Mon May 15 08:03:44 AEST 1989

In article <8905091835.AA27171 at adt.uucp>, james at adt.UUCP (james cerrato) writes:
> We have a product that is very memory intensive, and are interested in
> monitoring the amount of swap space that is being used, and that is free
> on IRIS 3000, and 4000 systems.  The commands that we have found so far are
> swap, df, and gr_osview on 4000 systems, and vmstat for 3000.  These commands
> don't seem to clearly give the information we need.  Does anyone know of more
> appropriate commands, or better understand the commands I mentioned?
> Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> James Cerrato		james at adt.uucp
> 508-366-9166
> Associative Design Technology
> Westboro MA

Specific numbers come out of the /etc/swap -l command, which reports the
number of disk blocks (512 bytes) of swap available, as well as the total
space.  Only available on the 4D series.

The 'sar' facility will also report the number of free blocks of swap.  Only
available on the 4D series.

I'm not a 3000 expert, but vmstat or iostat may tell you the swap information
you wish to know.

For a real-time display, 'osview' on the 4D series also displays swap usage.
Also on the 4D, 'df /debug' shows the total virtual space available, which
is the sum of memory+swap (in disk blocks, or kbytes if you use the -k option).

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'